Early Anglican Missions to the Chinese
While the Methodists and Presbyterians pioneered mission work to the Chinese in Canada, the Vancouver Anglican Archives holds a photo record of the Revd. H. P. Hobson, 1st Rector of Christ Church Cathedral, with his Chinese baptismal class, which could be traced back to the 1890s. The Chinese mission from Christ Church Cathedral evolved into the Good Shepherd mission, and eventually became the Good Shepherd Anglican Church, the first Chinese Anglican parish in Canada.
The Chinese Mission on Homer Street opened on January 22, 1903. The building consisted of a residence for the Chinese catechist and his wife, meeting space for a Wednesday evening Bible class and Sunday services, as well as fourteen small bedrooms which were rented to Chinese immigrants or labourers (Synod Journal, 1903, p. 42).
Ward believed that there was a twofold purpose to the Chinese work: to cultivate dual citizenship among the Chinese—nurturing them to become good citizens of both the heavenly kingdom and their earthly dominion, or in other words, to help them rise to higher “moral” and “spiritual” ideals.
The Good Shepherd Anglican Mission (Vancouver)
The Good Shepherd Anglican Church (now The Good Shepherd Anglican Network Church) is the oldest existing Chinese Anglican parish in Canada. The Good Shepherd Mission began as a ministry under the Christ Church Cathedral. The Mission was initially located on the perimeter of Chinatown, at Homer Street. Later, the Good Shepherd and Good Samaritan missions merged and moved to Keefer Street. Evening school was very well attended, but Sunday services were not as popular. The evangelist of the mission made annual visit to the canneries during the summer months.
In 1907, frustrated by the “unsatisfactory” attendance at the mission, a Chinese evangelist/catechist, (George) Lim Yuen, was called to take up outreach work at the Mission. Within a short period of time, attendance dramatically improved. Lim began outdoor services in Chinatown in 1910. At the mission, Lim taught Bible classes on Wednesday evenings and Sunday afternoons, led Sunday evening services and a short service during the week.
A new location on Georgia Street was rented for the purpose of reaching more Chinese women and children, and a kindergarten was established. Two large evangelistic meetings, with hymn singing and preaching, were held at a Chinese theatre and each event drew seven to fifteen hundred Chinese to attend.
After moving to 653 East Pender Street Hilda Hellaby and Betty Field were appointed to take charge of the regular kindergarten, make visitations to women, the sick, and even those in the Penitentiary. In addition, they distributed tracts in the Chinatown neighbourhood, taught the night school, gave music lessons to Chinese girls and reading lessons to Chinese women, and held social gatherings for Canadian-born Chinese children.
The Good Samaritan Mission (Vancouver)
The Good Samaritan Mission, located on 311 East Pender Street, was the largest Chinese Weekly services followed the Chinese liturgy used in the Diocese of Hong Kong, and the majority of the preaching was done by Lim, with close supervision from the Superintendent. Night school was held every evening. The catechist and the two women missionaries worked as a team to visit the Penitentiary and the Vancouver General Hospital. Street preaching on Sunday afternoons at the corner of Pender and Carrall Streets was always a highlight of their ministry.
The Good Hope Mission (Victoria)
Similar to the Good Shepherd Mission in Vancouver, the Good Hope Mission in Victoria offered four “shifts” of educational service to Chinese children and adults. The women missionaries, Mrs. Cooke and Miss Edith Coe (Koo), were primarily responsible for teaching these classes, while Charles Lee served at the catechist and gave a Cantonese gospel address after the evening school. The Revd. Li Buoi Ding was appointed to take charge of the Good Hope mission in 1924. He was a man of “tremendous ability, industry, and scholarship” (Knowles, p. 84). The Revd. Clarence Ling Tong Lee picked up the work of the Good Hope Mission from 1931 to 1943.
The Good Angel Mission (Vernon)
The Good Angel Mission located in Vernon, BC, belonged to the Diocese of Kootenay. There was a total of about six hundred Chinese in Vernon and many more resided and worked on the farms in the vicinity. The catechist, Lum Chang, was responsible for teaching afternoon and evening classes, Sunday Bible classes, Sunday School, street preaching on Sunday afternoons, and presiding at Sunday evening services. On Sundays, the local Salvation Army Band assisted with the music for the street preaching. In 1924, the diocese called the Revd. Lim Yuen to take over the Vernon ministries. He remained at the Good Angel Mission until 1941.
Journal of the Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster. 20th Session to 36th Session, 1901-1919.
Across the Rockies: The Official Magazine of the Diocese of New Westminster, 1901-1924.
Knowles, Norman. “They are Here to be Evangelized: Anglican Missions to British Columbia’s Chinese Community, 1861-1940.” Printed in the 105th Anniversary Publication of the Anglican Church of the Good Shepherd.
搬到片打東街六百五十三號後，喜馨黛小姐和田師奶 (當時華人對女宣教士的稱謂) 獲委任管理幼稚園的日常運作，並探訪婦女、患病者，甚至監獄。她們還在唐人街派發單張，在夜校授課，又教華裔女孩音樂課，華裔婦女識字班，並為在加拿大出生的華裔子女辦社交活動。每天共有七十名華裔兒童和成年人來到教會上課。
善望傳道所之堂址位於卑詩省域多利市莊士頓街五百四十三號。與善牧傳道所相倣，域多利善望傳道所為華裔兒童和成年人提供四個班次的教育服務, 主要由兩名女宣教師Cooke太太和顧清愛小姐負責授課，李傳道在夜校完畢後會用粵語傳講福音信息。一九三一至一九四三年由另一位李牧師 (顧小姐的丈夫) 繼續善望傳道所的事工。